Krypto-Knight Comics

Krypto-Knight Comics
Find Your Comics at Krypto-Knight Comics

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The Cape, Television's Newest Comic Hero



Comic book superheroes and characters like them have become increasingly popular both in television and on the big screen. Sunday night saw the newest of these programs hit NBC with the show called The Cape. If you are a comic book and superhero fan then no doubt you watched it just to see if it would be worth following. We understand because we watched it too. Here is what we thought.

The Cape is obviously a made for TV superhero and we are sure that there will be a comic book adaption of the show. As to who will nab the honors, our guess will be DC but we will have to wait and see. In the meantime, we were pleased with what we watched. Visually it was exciting because the show presented more costumed characters, villains with unique names, crimes in line with what comic books might present, and great separation between the heroes and the villains. You knew early on who was on what side.

The explanations as to how the cape worked, his abilities to use it, and the illusions he was taught in order to appear to have super powers were original. We liked the Oracle type character called Orwell (obviously similar), and as time goes on we will learn more about her background and her reason to fight crime. Our guess is that she must be the daughter of Chess. We will have to wait and see if our predictions prove true.

We enjoyed the interaction between the characters, the sacrifice made by the hero (there is always a sacrifice), the hilarious one-liners and off beat jokes which gave it some color, and, of course, the overall look of the show.

The down side, if there is one, is that it was cliched and predictable. You almost knew what would happen next with each frame. Every aspect of the show was much like a comic story line. The bad guy wins one and the good guy wins one. Both live to fight another day. The hero is framed for what the villain has done while the villain goes on being the town hero to everyone. However, this is nothing new as comic books are often cliched much like films and TV programs. There is rarely anything new under the sun. However, the predictability of the show was not necessarily a turn off. It seemed to be very well written in a simple style, easy to follow and the special effects gave the show an eye catching flare. Regardless of what happened you wanted to keep watching.

The Cape will prove to be interesting. We hope it will continue to catch viewers attention and keep them intrigued. At this point, we give it a positive review. We would like to know what you think. Did you like the show? Will you continue to watch it? Share your insights with us. The discussion is now open!

7 comments:

  1. I found it to be slow at times but being a true comic fan, I am not giving up on it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome show.... hope it lasts

    ReplyDelete
  3. i hope it outlasts smallville

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoever you are oh Anonymous one you should have left your name so we could credit you with some contest points. In regards to Smallville, it is one of my favorite TV shows overall. It's had its ups and downs but I have loved it. I will hate to see it go. If The Cape proves to be as well written and directed then it should prove to last just as long (10years). However, Smallville had one thing in its favor...it's based on the world's most popular superhero...Superman!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the scene in the convenient store when the Indian owner asked him his name and he said, "I am The Cape". His response, "Keep working on it" or something to that effect. I laughed because I originally thought the name, The Cape, was dumb and campy but I have come to accept it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I finally got around to watching the first two episodes of The Cape without knowing anything about it going in (hadn't seen any commericals, etc.) and I have to say that I enjoyed it immensely. At times the campyness reminded me of The Greatest American Hero which I enjoyed, partly for it's campyness. I did like some of the comic relief that was intersparsed into the show (that scene in the convenience store was great... 'You're a Superhero! What's your name?') which kept it from being just another run of the mill crime drama with tights. I expect that I will continue to watch as long as it stays true to themes and styles of the first two episodes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I Think It Has Promise, Its One Of Those Time Will Tell Deals, But I Will Give A Chance. It Had Some Cool Scenes It, Expectially When The SUV Blows Up, That Was Cool!!! The Campiness Should Be Dialed Back Alittle Though, I Found Some Of It Kinda Stupid But It Doesnt Make Me Not Want To Watch It. I Have To Agree With YoJoe With The Greatest American Hero Reference! I Did Enjoy That Show Cause Of The Campiness. Same Goes For Nightman! I Loved That Show And Hated Myself Because I Liked It! Anyways I Think The Cape Is Worth Checkin Out But So Far I Still Miss Heroes!!!

    ReplyDelete